How to create a 3D Bluray
Updated: Jan 10
Something of a dark art for consumer level software in 2020 this short tutorial will show how you can create a full frame-packed 1080p 3D Bluray using Vegas Pro and DVD Architect.
I'm not going to cover the theory and somewhat arcane technicalities here, the aim of this tut is to give a quick step by step process getting your stereoscopic 3D film onto a disc in the recognised 3D Bluray format.
For this tut I'm assuming that the stereo pair are edited and are at the requisite 24p. I'm using Vegas Pro 15 and burning a 3D bluray without menus.
1. Create a New Project in Vegas Pro (NOTE: Stereoscopic 3D Mode is for preview only)
2. Import your stereo content into Vegas Pro. Then select both Left and Right streams, right click then select "Pair as Stereoscopic 3D subclip"
3. Place the subclip on the timeline. (If you have separate audio like the example place this on timeline too)
4. Select "Render As" and export using the MVC 24p Template
5. Launch DVD Architect and Create a new Bluray Disc Project using the Single Movie, AVC 24p Template
6. Import the video by selecting the large .avc file.
7. The project is now ready to burn to disc. NOTE the 3D Icon in the timeline.
And the enjoy the fruits of your stereoscopic 3d endeavours in glorious full HD!
Andrew Murchie is a filmmaker and creative technologist based in Edinburgh, Scotland specialising in virtual reality, augmented reality, stereoscopic 3d and a range of more traditional digital filmmaking skills. He has produced Stereoscopic 3D films,Virtual Reality films, livestreams & Augmented Reality experiences for clients including The Real Mary King's Close, Dynamic Earth & Social Enterprise UK.